Have a couple questions for experienced FEAR mappers and modders

Home Forums FEAR Modding Have a couple questions for experienced FEAR mappers and modders

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of benox50 benox50 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

quicksilver
    Participant

Hi guys. I’ve recently decided to look closer at FEAR’s dev tools. I’m not a complete nüb when it comes to mapping and modding, but most of my experience is with Hammer and the Source engine. I could likely find my answers by way of RTFM, but I’m hoping someone can save me a few hours feeling around in the dark.

To make a long story short, I want to make a Thief-like FPS in a modern urban environment (think the first few hours of “Vampire: TMB”). My first choice for such a project would likely be the Unreal engine, especially given the new licencing options for indie devs. But it did occur to me that I could (maybe) get it done within the existing gameplay framework of FEAR, and if so, that would give me quite a lot of art assets to work with. So here I am.

Question the First: does FEAR’s AI system allow for hiding in shadows, or is there no way to avoid triggering a combat state when line of sight is established?

Question the Second: how “mod-able” are the Heavily Armed Soldier dudes we see all over FEAR? Key to selling my setting would be different types of “guards”, presenting different levels of threat, in different locations.

Those are a start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of =MXT=Fred.cpp
    =MXT=Fred.cpp
    Keymaster

Hey.
    You can set the AI to react to almost any trigger event, they can be inactive until the player steps an specific area, or activate as soon as the player is on sight.

About customization, well that’s actually something you must watch: you basically need to mod every new character you want, and is a huge pain in the ass. It’s so big deal, that so far only 2 100% working models have been made from scratch (the male and female nanosuits you can play in MXT CTF Server).

I’m not sure If the Unreal Tournament Engine is somehow compatible with Monolith’s Jupiter EX Engine, I’m not familiar with It.
    Best Regards.

quicksilver
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn’t suggesting Unreal was somehow compatible, its just an either/or proposition for me atm. Either FEAR can accommodate what I’m hoping to accomplish, or I do it all more-or-less from scratch with the UDK.

Profile photo of benox50
    benox50

Oy !
    Even if I really want more people to make FEAR mods, I think its a bad idea if you want to create a new style of game.

For big mods, FEAR SDK is used to make FEAR maps or FEAR expension.
    For example both commercial FEAR expension are made using the SDK and… dont forget that… coding to create complete new AI and NPCs. Most of mods are maps.
    Then there is this fanmade expension that is still wip : http://www.moddb.com/mods/fear-resurrection

Follow the link to see what can be done without coding

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FEAR Combat powered by FEAR Combat Community © 2015