FEAR Public Tools Installation Error

Home Forums Community FEAR Public Tools Installation Error

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HollAnd 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

HaaH

I found that when I tried to open my FEAR Dev executable in my already installed FEAR Public Tools folder, I got an error saying a file was missing, and the dev program wouldn’t open. I kept getting the error so I uninstalled it and removed the folder. While I was reinstalling it, I got an error saying “FEAR_00.arch couldn’t find the specified path,” or something along those lines (I’ll check again to see what the exact error was).

I just wanted to see what I could do with the level editor, what with the multiplayer maps that are already being made right now, I figured I might take a look at it and possibly try to contribute… that was, until I ran into this problem, which I doubt will be resolved; I thought it would still be worth asking you guys though.

HaaH

Okay, I found the solution. The folder needs to be installed in the default directory, with the other folders there. If you moved your Sierra folder to somewhere else, and try to install your FEAR Public tools in that moved folder, you’ll get errors and it won’t work.

=MXT=Fred.cpp
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info!

HaaH

Well, it managed to install completely (possibly not correctly, as evident of what I’m going to explain), but now when I open the Dev exe, I get an error I’ve never gotten before, an unidentified one, according to the game.

“Failed to initialize client – unknown error.”

Even the game doesn’t know what the hell is going on. Apparently it just doesn’t want to work anymore; with no doubt, I’m not going to be using the editor in the near, or far, future, since it seems like the tools themselves have been trying their hardest to not work. Another weird thing was that the config (which actually opened, surprisingly) was in a different language, which isn’t normal, and if it is, it shouldn’t (all while the installer was entirely in English; I guess they’re assuming the users are going to speak multiple languages, and then use them interchangably just because).

Suffice to say, my little interest in mapping in the FEAR engine has been completely diminished, besides the fact that it would be literally impossible for me to use the editor anyway, seeing as how things are working (or not working, I should say) so far.

Well, I guess it’s up to you guys (and maybe just not me specifically) to continue to custom level creation… I hope it’s stuff more intricate than box rooms connected to one another with minimal detail and zero light casting (though I do have to hand it to you guys, some of these custom levels are pretty cool; the recently made cargo ship level in particular had some interesting design).

HaaH

Thanks for the info!

No problem, I wish it helped me!

The strange, and not entirely smart way the dev tools install themselves as a folder is probably a culprit of my problem (it takes all of the files from main FEAR folder, and inserts them into the dev tools folder, hoping you’ve never put anything else that might interfere with the tool exes). I may try further to get it working, but it’s probably a waste of my time, since I’m pretty sure the tools are determined to not work now.

EDIT: I think I’ve thought of a working, logical solution. I’ll delete my entire Sierra folder on default drive (I have a backup of it on another drive), reinstall FEAR on the default drive so it doesn’t have any extra files that don’t come with the game, then install the tools again, in the Sierra folder. There’s a high chance it still won’t work, God know’s for what reason, but it’s probably worth a shot.

HaaH

I forgot to give this thread the confirmation that the method I mentioned in the above post worked.

2 Important things about the FEAR Public Tools

1. They won’t work if you haven’t put them in their default install folder.

2. Because of how the tools install themselves, some mods may have the ability to mess with the tools, and cause them to not work.

=MXT=Fred.cpp
    Keymaster

maybe you needed to load the FEAR.dep project before start?

HaaH

FEAR.dep comes with the installation of the tools. None of the programs would start in the first place. People can test this out themselves if they want to; just copy your FEAR and FEAR Public Tools folders over to somewhere that isn’t in the Sierra folder of Disk C, and try to run the tool. As you’ll find fairly quickly, they don’t work.

And yes, mods will definitely screw up and modify the FEAR files, which could cause them not to open in the editors. My workaround for this is that I have my unmodded FEAR folder and the public tools in the default Sierra folder, then I have the rest of my fear content (the ones I use for multiplayer) in a different folder. This way the mods will only interfere with the folder I’m using the game for, and not the tools.

HollAnd
    Participant

FEAR Public Tools v2” you can install it where you want.
    this version dont need the game to extract all the files from.
    We made this version completely standalone program.

Sylar

I downloaded F.E.A.R. PUBLIC TOOL V2. And when I try to install, the installer doesn’t finish. So, I had to cancel the installation process after over 45 minutes stopped.

HollAnd
    Participant

By how fast your computer is, the installer needs some time to install.
    Try again it will finish

Sylar

I tried to install again, but my computer crashed, rebooted and got an error message on the hard disk. Then my computer was turned on normally and the program was not installed. So I gave up installing. 🙁

HollAnd
    Participant

hi Sylar, I want to know what machine you use?
    and the version of windows (xp/7/8)?
    and if you are the administator on the pc you installed on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FEAR Combat powered by FEAR Combat Community © 2012–2018