4 years ago, 5th December 2012: GameSpy shut down the FEAR Master Server.
That day (late night), we released the FEAR Launcher as a temporal workaround to continue playing.
One month later, the updated SEC2 version was launched, connecting to the new FEAR Master Server (hosted by FEAR-Community.org), and fixing the ingame Functionality to host, search and connect servers.
“We continue working in the maintenance, bugfix and promotion of the game, by providing downloads for the gamefiles and Game Keys, tutorials, tips and support.
Our goal is to keep this free game alive.”
I saw this video years ago and just stumbled on it again. It was Uploaded on Nov 6, 2006
and was entered into GameTrailers.com’s What is Your F.E.A.R. contest!
I must say after all these years it’s still my favorite.
Click the link and enjoy 🙂
F.E.A.R. Live real person Action
Update: This feature is now live!
As part of the upcoming new release of SEC2 v2.0.1, there is a new server-side feature that will enable score tracking integration with your fear-community.org account.
Here is a sample of what it looks like in action:
It has been quite some time since the last release, so just thought I would post some details about the next upcoming release:
- Added: player statistics reporting to master server
- Added: new commands to dynamically assign a password to a server (cmd_lockserver <password>, cmd_unlockserver)
- Added: new command to randomize teams (cmd_scramble)
- Added: broadcast message when server is paused or unpaused
- Added: silent admin login option (usage: “scmd login silent” instead of “scmd login mode”)
- Added: option to exclude members of the same clan from auto balance
- Changed: “ADMIN:” is now prefixed to all admin broadcast messages
- Changed: renamed cmd_chgpass to cmd_chgscmdpass
- Changed: UA mode (cmd_unarmed) will now be disabled at the end of the map
- Changed: disable cd-key check when LanOnly=1
- Changed: PICKUP_HACK to warning instead of automatic ban, and exceeding warning threshold will result in temp ban
- Fixed: server crash bug caused by restarting map when server is paused
- Fixed: do not display FLY_HACK warning while server is paused
- Fixed: servers not appearing in serverlist when containing a large number of custom maps
- Removed: blacklisted keys check, since all old keys are treated as invalid
- Added: “Querying” text box when retrieving server list to show game is not hung
- Added: if master server is down, query backup server when retrieving server list
- Changed: master server query timeout from 10 sec to 5 sec
- Fixed: always set dedicated server to true when launching host from in-game
- Removed: punkbuster column from server list
Server admins, if you are interested in testing out the new release, please drop myself or Fred a message!
Okay, this is a feature that some of you server admins have been asking about for quite awhile. I did some digging and it turns out that the FEAR Windows Dedicated Server does support logging to a text file by just adding a few additional command line parameters.
Here is how it works:
FEARServer.exe +errorlog 1 +alwaysflushlog 1 +errorlogfile fearserver.log
The log file will be saved into the same directory as FEARServer.exe (i.e. your install directory).
Please note that the log file will be overwritten if you restart the server and use the same log file name, so I recommend including a timestamp in the filename.
start fearserver.exe +errorlog 1 +alwaysflushlog 1 +errorlogfile “%LOGF%”
For some extra features check the help secion:
Host a Server / Advanced Server Options